7 tips to help your neck pain related headaches
Headaches and Neck Pain : How might Connective Chiropractic help?
Chiropractic is considered effective at assisting headaches associated to the neck
Chiropractic has been considered effective for helping some types of headaches and neck pain. On the back of some contemporary Chiropractic research, the advertising standards authority in 2017 suggested that in terms of headaches arising from the neck or headaches associated with neck pain could be something Chiropractors can help with. The ASA also listed many other conditions that Chiropractic could be useful for including some other types of headache, for example those caused by tension or the inability to relax.
Cervicogenic headaches, or headaches arising from the neck are often a result of something else happening in the body. These secondary headaches are often due to biomechanical changes within the body. Often these are because of changes within the neuro-muscular, skeletal or soft connective tissues which create pulls, aches, pain or more localised pains or headache like sensations.
NECK BASED HEADACHES AND MIGRAINES
Sometimes headaches arising from the neck might mimic the symptoms of a migraine, so we often take the time out during our assessments to figure out what is going on. However, rest assured, the ASA listed migraine prevention also as something Chiropractic could be able to assist with.
COMMON SYMPTOMS OF A NECK BASED HEADACHE
Common symptoms might not only include a throbbing or painful sensation, as you would expect with a normal headache. You might also experience stiffness or restrictions in your neck or pain spreading around the eyes or across your face (usually on one side). Similarly to a migraine you might note some sensitivities to light or noise and might get associated stomach upsets.
WHAT CAUSES NECK BASED HEADACHES?
There can be lots of causes. Of course, anything that creates neck pain from a biomechanical perspective could lead to this type of headache, including normal wear and tear (osteoarthritis) and disc issues. Neck based ‘cervicogenic’ headaches are different from some other more serious headaches that might affect the neck
Common causes of neck based headaches are often due to sleep posture, occupational habits or through straining or tensing, such as by working out too hard at the gym or a rather adventurous sneeze!
CHIROPRACTIC CAN HELP CERVICOGENIC HEADACHES
It’s always good to get it checked out, especially if you’re getting regular headaches. They can sometimes be an early sign to something else happening in your body. If anything seems severe, really unexpected or out of the ordinary, booking in with your GP might be wise.
7 TIPS TO HELP YOURSELF BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT
- Think about what could be causing your neck pain or headache. Can you do anything differently to affect your postures or lifestyle choices.
- Edit your sleeping posture. Make sure your pillows are supporting you and you’re not twisting your neck and body as you’re in bed
- Think about your workplace ergonomics. Is your screen at the right height? Can you see your screen properly or are you craning your neck? How is your car seat?
- Have you overdone it at the gym? Take a break.
- Could hot or cold compresses help?
- Medication. Not our personal favourite, but over the counter pain relief might be able to assist too, of course. Remember however pain relief works by masking the pain and often does not address the cause of the pain: It’s still worth getting it checked out by a professional if things are still feeling sore. Conversely, when was the last time you had a prescription drug review? If you are on prescription drugs and you’re not sure the headache is coming from the neck, speak to your GP.
- Can you move objects around in your living room, bedroom or office so that you can get more balanced movement and motion in your neck?
How to book in and get an assessment of your neck pain or headache
Booking in to see us for an assessment of your headache can often take away a lot of the frustration about not knowing what is going on. At the very least, we can help to put you at ease.
You can click on the link below to conveniently reserve your appointment time at a time that suits you. But, If you’re unsure whether Chiropractic is right for you, please feel free to give us a call or pop in for a chat. We’d love to connect with you.
Reserve your time with us
Arena Business Centre,
EMPOWER WELLBEING WITH A CONNECTIVE CHIROPRACTIC MEMBERSHIP
Registered Company (10788728) in England & Wales, Registered Address: Arena Business Centre, Basing View, Basingstoke, RG21 4EB.
Site information and layout last updated March 2020 (Version 1.1)
(Version 1 - 1st November 2017)